Thursday, May 31, 2012

Minced Dried Onion


Onion harvested from my garden.



A couple of weeks ago, I harvested 16 large bulb green onions that had gone to seed. They were starting to get really woody and I didn't want them to go to waste. So I decided to pull them all and make some minced dried onion.  I actually use minced dry onion a lot, because I can use them without my kids knowing that what I have made has onion in it. They don't care very much for onion. But if they don't know it's there then I don't hear any complaints and I enjoy the flavor.

Sliced Onion ready to dehydrate.




So I cut all these wonderful onions up and threw them on to my food dehydrator. They took awhile to dry, about a day and a half, but it was well worth the effort.




Minced Dried Onion




After they were all completely dried, I threw them into my mini food chopper (only because I don't have a food processor - one of the items on my wish list). It did the trick and I had minced dried onion. Yum! I have since used it in a couple of dishes and it has great flavor. 



No comments: