Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Slow Cooker Vegetable Minestrone

I haven't posted in so long but I have been sick with an icky sinus infection and so even though the weather here is nice and warm (we have even started planting our garden) I have still been in the mood for hot soup. Soup is always when of my favorites when I am not feeling my best. I also know that a lot of our readers still have snow on the ground where they live, so today I am sharing with you a recipe for one of my favorite slow cooker soups. This soup is delicious and makes for a great vegetarian meal.


Slow Cooker Vegetable Minestrone
4 Cups Vegetable or Chicken Broth
4 Cups Tomato Juice
1 Tb. Dried Basil
1/2 tsp. Dried Oregano
1/4 tsp. Pepper
2 Cloves Garlic, finely minced
1 Cup Sliced Carrotts
1 Cup Chopped Celery
1/2 Cup Chopped Onion
1 Cup Sliced Fresh Mushrooms
1 Quart Diced Tomatoes undrained
1 & 1/2 Cups uncooked Rotini Pasta
Shredded Parmesan Cheese

Mix all ingredients except pasta and cheese in a 4 to5 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours. At the end stir in the pasta and cook on high for 15 to 20 minutes until pasta is tender. Serve hot sprinkled with Parmesan cheese. If you prefer and sometimes I do, cook the pasta separately and stir it in to each individual serving. This way if you have leftovers you can store your pasta separate from your soup which will prevent it from getting soggy.

Yum! I love this soup, it is wonderful and extremely healthy. My favorite part is the mushrooms, they are simply delightful!  Enjoy!

No comments: