Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Follow Up: Those Cold Fall Nights

The other day I posted about our method of covering our frost sensitive plants from freezing dead on cold nights.  I just wanted to follow up and tell you how our plants did.

I happened to wake up in the middle of the night and looked at my phone, it was 30 degrees outside!  I was so glad I covered the plants.  It was only supposed to be 34 with a chance of 32.  I went back to sleep with a peaceful mind not worrying about our plants.
Frost all over

The top is a little frost bitten
The next morning I pulled off all f the sheets to see how everything was doing.  Most everything looks pretty good.  Some of the plants had the top six or eight inches were freezer burned but he majority of the plants were in good shape.  We have only one more cold night to go then a good week of warm weather.  The next night I added some grass clippings around the base of some of our pepper plants.  We are now 2 years on three of our pepper plants and want to keep them going another year, since pepper plants are perennial they just need a little protection. 


Hang up your sheets to dry them out, ready for the next night.

We are trying to keeping our tomatoes, squash, tomatillo's and peppers going along so we can gain some harvest from  each of them.  A few of the plants we where a little late in planting so we hope that we can still gain a harvest from them before it is too cold for them.  Either way it's worth the effort.




 

No comments: