Sunday, November 4, 2012

Enjoying the Harvest - Pumpkin Week


I love the fall, the smells, the colors, the crisp feel in the air, the traditions, and I love the Harvest. I love the feeling of reaping all that I have sown over the previous months. One of my favorite flavors and scents of fall has to be Pumpkin. I can hardly wait to bring out all of my pumpkin recipes that just didn’t seem to fit into the hot days of summer, but now the crispness in the air lets me know it is once again time for the smell of pumpkin pie spice to fill my kitchen. Yum! One thing that I have found slightly discouraging to my love for pumpkin recipes is the high price of canned pumpkin in the store. So several years ago I decided that I would begin canning my own pumpkin. So in an effort to save money and let nothing go to waste I began letting my children paint their Halloween Pumpkins instead of carving them, this way after Halloween we could cut up and use all of the yummy pumpkin inside. Last year Jacob also brought home a couple of medium sized pumpkins, that he bought on clearance for $1.00 each. Of course, when we have a bit more garden space we hope to begin growing our own pumpkins again. I know we all have a large variety of pumpkin recipes that satisfy our sweet tooth, but this delicious vegetable is often forgotten in the world of savory. So in Honor of the Harvest and because of my love of all things pumpkin, this week I will be posting some of my favorite pumpkin recipes, most of them savory, maybe one that is sweet. I will also post my method for canning pumpkin and tell you how we roast our pumpkin seeds. So if you love all things pumpkin then stop back in throughout the week so we can share with you some of our favorites. We hope you have been enjoying the fall and the harvest as much as we have.

No comments: