Sunday, October 7, 2012

Roasted Tomatillo Salsa


We harvested the first pound of tomatillos from our Garden this week. I was so excited to try out some tomatillo salsa. I searched the internet for some recipes and after a little research I came up with my own recipe. It turned out Delicious! So I am going to share it with you today.

Here is what you will need:
1 to 1&1/2 lbs. Tomatillos
1 small to medium Onion
2 or 3 Jalapenos
2 to 3 Cloves Garlic
1 Bunch Cilantro
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Cumin
About 1/4 Cup Water

Remove husks from the tomatillos and wash. I sliced mine in half and then laid them cut side down on a foil lined baking sheet. I also cut my peppers in half, removed the seeds and laid them cut side down. Cut your onion into wedges and place about half of your garlic cloves onto the tray. Roast in a 400 degree oven for about 1/2 hour. Remove your garlic about halfway through, once they are toasty, so they don't get overcooked.



The last few minutes I turned the broiler on to get a nice char on the tops of my veggies. Yummy!
Roasted Tomatillos














Here are the tomatillos, nice and soft with a bit of a char on them. 
Then we just throw it all in the blender. Put your roasted garlic in first. Just cut one end off and squeeze it out of the peel. I pushed all of my roasted veggies to the center of the foil, so I could capture all of the yummy juices. Then I just folded my foil up around it and used it like a funnel to dump it into the blender. Add the fresh cilantro, salt, cumin, and the rest of your garlic. (I chose to keep half of my garlic raw, because of the health benefit.) Blend it all up. You may need to add some water to get things rolling. I ended up using 1/4 cup, but don't add too much or your salsa will be too thin. Mine turned out nice and thick!
Roasted Tomatillo Salsa - Yummy!





Here it is the finished product. It was really yummy and so easy. I couldn't believe how easy it was. I love the fact that I didn't have to peel the tomatillos. It would be delicious on a variety of Mexican dishes, not to mention the fact that it tastes great on a plain old tortilla chip.






This recipe makes about 2 cups of salsa. It is also important to mention that this is not a suitable recipe for canning. There is not enough acidity. But once my tomatillos get going on their production then I will be making some salsa for canning, so be sure and check back. 

Just an update: I freeze this salsa all the time. So although it is not suitable for canning if freezes great.

No comments: