Saturday, September 29, 2012

Crispy Baked Potato Skins

I would have to say that my favorite food has to be a potato. When Jacob and I were dating he used to ask me where I wanted to go to eat and I would say, "I don't care, just anywhere I can get a baked potato." I just love the wonderful goodness of a potato. My favorites are of course baked and roasted potatoes, but they must have the skin. I love potato skin, especially when it gets all crispy and yummy! So I had a thought come to me recently as I was getting ready to make another round of frozen hash browns. I wondered why in the world I had been throwing away the best part of the potato, the skins. There was absolutely no need to waste such a wonderful and nutritious thing.

So I took a little extra time this round and scrubbed all of my potatoes really well before par boiling them so that I could also utilize the skins. I peeled each potato, just like I did before, only this time I laid those precious skins out on a tray in a single layer just like I did with my shredded potatoes. Between each layer I put a sheet of saran wrap. I put them into the freezer overnight and the next day I put them into freezer bags.


Freezing your skins in a single layer allows them to come apart easily and they don't freeze into a giant clump. This way you can just open your bag and take out the amount of potato skins you want to use and you don't have to defrost the entire bag. 

To prepare them I simply laid out some of my frozen skins on a baking sheet, brushed them with olive oil and seasoned them. We have tried some different seasoning. We like Cajun, lemon- dill, and of course season salt.  Then bake them in a 450 degree oven for about 20 minutes. Just watch them and pull them out when they are golden brown and crispy. Yum! My mouth is watering.
Crispy Baked Potato Skins








Here they are: Don't they look amazing! They are, let me tell you. A little indulgent, but much, much healthier for you than a bag of potato chips or french fries. And once again you have managed to live a little bit more Providently by not throwing out your potato skins.





No comments: