Friday, June 22, 2012

Strawberry Freezer Jam

20 lb. of Strawberries for $20 - Wahoo!
Last Saturday night I went to the store at 9:00 pm, which is sometimes necessary when you have 3 small children. I was so excited to find a great deal on strawberries. $1.00 for 1 lb. so I bought 20 lb. I went home immediately to make strawberry freezer jam, which I absolutely love. I usually try to make both freezer and cooked jam, because even though I like cooked jam, I really think that freezer jam tastes tons better.It seems to maintain that fresh strawberry taste a lot better and of course it keeps that beautiful bright red color.
Mixing together the Pectin and Sugar.







Freezer jam is really easy to make and I was able to utilize the deal that Jacob got on freezer pectin several months ago. There is really nothing to it, but I was glad that Jacob was willing to jump in and help me. He mixed together the appropriate amounts of sugar and pectin (just follow the instructions on the bottle of instant pectin) while I cleaned and crushed the berries.
Crushing the Strawberries.






I like chunks of berries in mine and so you can just simply crush them using a potato masher. Then you combine the sugar pectin mixture with the fruit and stir for a specified amount of time. It is only 2 or 3 minutes. Put your jam into containers for freezing. As you can see in the picture below we used some containers that we bought specifically for freezing and then when we ran out of those we used a few jars and some other random plastic containers. 
13 Pints of Strawberry Freezer Jam.





The jam has to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes and then you put it in the freezer for storage. That is all there is to it. So easy, anyone can do it. We made 13 pints of freezer jam and we still had about 6 lbs. of strawberries left, but I had no more containers to put jam in so we decided to freeze some of the berries.
6 lbs. of Frozen Strawberries.







We use frozen berries a lot for homemade yogurt and smoothies. We usually buy frozen strawberries at Sam's Club, 5 lb. for $9.00. So we got a great deal here, 6 lb. for $6.00. I just lay the berries out on a tray in a single layer and freeze them overnight. Then I pull them out and put them into a freezer bag. They come easily off the tray and break apart this way so they are not frozen together in a huge clump.Perfect for fruit smoothies.
I was so happy about this deal and I am so glad to have strawberry freezer jam again!


No comments: