Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Black Bean Veggie Burgers


Ingredients:
1 (16 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed      
1/2 green bell pepper, roughly chopped
1/2 onion, cut into wedges
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1 Egg
1 tsp. Chili powder
1tsp. Cumin
1/2 Cup bread crumbs



In a medium bowl mash the black beans until thick and pasty. In a food processor, finely chop the bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into the mashed beans.



Stir in the egg, spices, and bread crumbs and mix until the mixture is sticky and holds together. If you like it a little spicier just add a bit more chili powder and cumin, and maybe some hot sauce. My kids don't like spicy so I toned it down some.





Divide the mixture into four patties Place on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake at 375degrees for about 10 minutes on each side. When I made these I also added about 1/2 cup pinto beans, because I had a few leftover in the fridge. I also think some finely shredded carrot would be really delicious.

We topped them off with the traditional burger fixin's: mayo, ketchup, mustard, pickles, tomato, garden spinach, and lettuce. They were really yummy and even my kids devoured them.  I was very happy about this, because I have a hard time getting my little girl to eat beans and she definitely won't eat onions, but she didn't even know they were there. She ate the entire thing and said, "this is really good, Mom!" Success!

No comments: