Wednesday, March 5, 2014

One Pot Wonder Pasta Take Two

One Pot Wonder Spinach & Mushroom Penne
One pot pastas have been very popular. My original One Pot Wonder post has had tons of traffic. I loved this dish and so did my family so I decided I would change it up a bit and try out another version.

One Pot Wonder with Penne, Crimini, & Spinach
ONE POT WONDER SPINACH & MUSHROOM PENNE
Serves 4 to 6

16 ounces penne pasta
8oz. crimini mushrooms, sliced
1 large bunch spinach
1 large sweet onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. salt
6 cups home canned vegetable or chicken stock
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Parmesan cheese for garnish

Place pasta, mushrooms, spinach, onion,  and garlic in a large skillet or dutch oven. Pour in stock. Sprinkle top with basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Drizzle top with oil. Cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer and keep covered and cook for about 10 to 12 minutes, until pasta is al dente and liquid has been reduced as desired. Stir several times throughout cooking to ensure all the pasta is cooked evenly. Add more stock if needed. Season to taste with salt and pepper , stirring pasta several times to distribute the liquid in the bottom of the pot. Serve garnished with Parmesan cheese.

If you are using boxed stock or commercially canned stock you may want to reduce the amount of salt. You can always add more to taste at the end. I don't add salt to my home canned stock so I usually need a bit more.

I love this pasta! The starch from the pasta combines with the stock to make a wonderful yummy sauce for the pasta. This recipe is so adaptable with what you have. It is very healthy. You can use all kinds of veggies and whole wheat pasta as well. The best part is that it is so quick and easy! 




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi!
This sounds yummy too!
I think I will try this also. I would love to hear more of your recipes, they sound delicious!
If you are moved into your new home by now, they do grow a lot of their own mushrooms up here.
I do love mushrooms!! Especially portabellos. And they are so good for you!
I have been thinking of trying my hand at growing some. But probably when winter is over here.
There are lovely farmer markets at Fayetteville, and Springfield, MO. if you live in the northern part.
Some in little rock too if you are further south. I believe come April, we will go to a few. :)
Hope your year will be a nice one!
Lynne