Friday, January 27, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent

One of the big expenses we always have at the store is cleaners and detergents.  So we went on a quest to find out how to make our own. We have been using homemade laundry detergent for awhile now. It is easy to make, works well, and saves a ton of money! Here is the recipe we use:


Shopping List
1 - "Arm & Hammer" Super Washing Soda 55 Oz.
1 - 76 oz. Box Borax
1- 10 pk of 4.5 oz. Ivory Bar Soap or Zote

Recipe
1 Bar Grated Soap
1 Cup Borax
1 Cup Washing Soda



I use a large cottage cheese container to mix and store my detergent in. I start by adding the borax and washing soda and then I grate the soap in.  I like to grate the soap small so it gets more evenly distributed throughout the detergent.  There is plenty of room left in my container so I can just snap the lid on and shake it up, but you can also combine all of your ingredients in a large bowl and mix it up with a spoon if you like.



The best part about it is you only need to use 1 TB. per washload so it lasts a long time.  This detergent also produces very few suds so you can use it in your HE washer. I have an HE washer and I use it all the time with no problem.

No comments: